[et@ihear.com: Re: Troublesome install of X]

I think this should have gone to the list. Joachim

----- Forwarded message from Elaine Tsiang <et@ihear.com> -----

From: Elaine Tsiang <et@ihear.com>
To: JFahnenmueller@t-online.de (Joachim Fahnenmueller)
Subject: Re: Troublesome install of X

Sounds like the video part is working fine. You may have just a mouse
problem. If so, after you get a text console per instructions below, follow
the instructions in the earlier post re: "Problem for X Window, mouse, gpm,
PS/2, IMPS/2, erratic mouse, middle button".

On Sunday 14 July 2002 05:05 am, Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> 1. DON'T PANIC.
>
> 2. When you see the X screen, Ctrl+Alt+F1 will take you to a text console
> where you can log in and try to fix your X config. For hints read
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log . Or post that to the list, you'll probably find
> somebody who can help you.
>
> 3. Backup is never wrong, but normally a linux install does not affect the
> windoze partition. Probably you don't have to reinstall anyway.
>
> 4. BTW, besides mc there are other good text-based things: emacs (editor),
> mutt (mail), w3m (web browser), ... But I agree that it is more fun
> to have X.
>
> HTH, Joachim
>
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 05:36:38PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have had Debian on my dual-boot machine for about 3 years but have not
> > really been able to get it to do anything other than run MC.
> >
> > Yesterday, having got Bill McCarty's book and read much of it, I ran
Xconfig.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Joachim Fahnenmüller