Re: sound only on console

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 01:54, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I know this has been asked before, but I can't find it in the
> archives...
>
> Is there a way that I can get only people logged in on the console
> whether it being in X or on the command line, to use sound?  The idea
> here is to prevent those not at the console from playing sounds they
> can't hear and anybody at the console being able to play sounds.

Depending on how users are logging in, pam_group might be an option.
This module gives users certain groups when they log in and can be
configured on a service by service basis, so that users who log in via
gdm/login can be added to sound, while users who ssh in aren't.

check out /etc/security/group.conf

HTH

-Mark