woody installation difficulties or not (was Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat)

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:24:48 -0500 grante@visi.com wrote:

> apt-get is quite nice.  I like _running_ Debian, but it's too
> bad the initial install is such a nightmare.  Today it took
> almost an entire day of futzing around to get a generic Woody
> 2.4 system installed and running.  Installing Redhat on the
> same system takes about 15 minutes.

Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but other than my very Debian woody
installation, I haven't had any difficulties with the Debian installation
program/process.  Most of the difficulty with my first installation was
simply that it was different than what I was used to, and the fact that I
was trying a net install.  I had a little difficulty initially wrapping my
head around the Debian installation thought process.

Now, Debian installations are a breeze.  I recently revisited a RH 7.2
installation process and was frustrated by how much more involved some of
the tasks in the RH installation process were compared to the woody
installation.

I'd be interested to hear what difficulties you did have and/or what
process you went through.

--
Jamin W. Collins