Re: demographics of debian users (was: ratio of male vs. female debian users)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 06:55:58 +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

>Joey> [1] Which is at least better than the people who blackhole south korea
>Joey>     because "they're all spammers", and then wonder why they're unable
>Joey>     to communicate with certian debian develpers.

Point in fact, I dump anything identified as from kr land.  I also dump
cn, tw, a couple of mail outfits (mail.com for example) and every IP
block I identify in Nigeria.  This is not a totally indiscriminate kill.
I dump them into their own folder, which I put my own Mark I, mod 0
eyeballs on to check for legitimate posts before sending them to bit
heaven.  If the signal-to-noise ratio comes up, I will either refine my
kill-filters or create a fine-tuned except-in-this-case filter.  In the
meantime, a regular scan for that occasional pearl in the pig-sty is
much preferred over wading through that same waste from the well-fed pig
every time I open the mailbox.

There are some folks that delete/bounce without looking.  I do feel that
is a lazy way out unless the filter is very narrow band and well tested.

>And those western culture snobs who send me personal email and which
>then bounces when I reply getting "Sorry, we don't accept mail from
>[shudder] Taiwan Spam ISPs", as the window rolls up and their
>chauffeur drives away.

I seem to recall someone referencing CDT (Central Daylight Time) as
being used in some rundown part of the US and as being an insult to the
great nation of China.  I thought the writer was being facetious.  In
light of the above, perhaps I should put on my Texian hat and reconsider
it as being cultural snobbery.

As I commented on Joey's snippet, an indiscriminate bounce doesn't seem
very wise.  OTOH, your early posts made it to my "debianusers" folders
just fine, and were we to communicate directly, I would still not lose
you in the noise.

>And no, my mailbox you see is not my ISP so you can't detect that I
>live in "the spam hemisphere" from that.
>
>Yes, I took off my "spam language" signature so this message won't get
>shot down as it arrives in the pristine mailboxes of the spam free.
>At least they aren't requiring x-faces and scanning for the "unclean" ones.

My mailbox folders are damn near spam/scam free (except that Mrs. Abachi
and her kinfolk seem to slip their ugly camels' noses under the tent
flap no matter what I do).  This is not due to cultural bias, but rather
to the _fact_ that, in _my_ mailbox, the signal-to-noise ratio on a
large volume of Asian origin mail approaches zero.

There are some participants of this list that bounce my direct mail due
to my ISP testing positive for multi-hop-open-relay.  To what cultural
bias do we ascribe this to?  Hmm, there's one in the Great
Northwest--maybe he doesn't like Texians.  And that Englishman, I'll bet
he just hates break-away colonists.  Wellll, those damn bigots!
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---