Re: quick and dirty way to let a solaris app run on linux xserver?

Dave Price wrote:

> I am trying to get an xclient program on a solaris system to display on
> my linux X server.
>
> I have tried xhost, but the solaris box still whines about not being
> able to open my display, even tho it can ping it.
>
> Any suggestions for a quick and dirty way to allow this to happen - both
> systems are on the same private LAN, so security is not an issue.

Well, xhost is about as insecure a way of letting another machine use
your display as you could hope for, so I don't think you have to worry
about anything worse being suggested.

I assume you're sure that the solaris box's $DISPLAY variable is set
properly, and since you're on the same LAN, presumably there's no
firewall between you that might be blocking X's ports. (Unless one of
the machines is in a DMZ? And what about the Linux's box's built-in
firewalling capabilities and /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}?)

Are you sure the Linux machine's X server is listening to TCP?

If the solaris box has an ssh server with X forwarding enabled, and if
your Linux box has an ssh client, then "ssh -X solarisbox" might do.

Craig