Re: quick and dirty way to let a solaris app run on linux xserver?

<quote who="Dave Price">
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get an xclient program on a solaris system to display on
> my linux X server.
>
> I have tried xhost, but the solaris box still whines about not being able
> to open my display, even tho it can ping it.
>
> Any suggestions for a quick and dirty way to allow this to happen - both
> systems are on the same private LAN, so security is not an issue.

xhost should work provided your debian system is listening for
connections for X. by default the newer versions of debian do
not.

you can change this behavior by editing the config files in /etc/X11
do a recursive grep for nolisten tcp:

what i do:
grep -nri "nolisten tcp" *
(while in /etc/X11)

once you remove those configuration options, restart your X
server on the debian machine and do the xhost thing and it should
work.

if your not sure, telnet to your ip on port 6000 and see if it
responds, 99% of systems running a single copy of X listen on 6000
by default ..

i'm betting the debian X isn't listening.

nate