Re: lost+found recovery

<quote who="Erik Mathisen">
> Hello,
>
> I had to run fsck, and it put about 20-30 files in my /lost+found
> directory.  Now if I recall correctly, these should be files that fsck
> found corrupted on disk for one reason or another.  Is there  a way to
> recover these, and put them back where they were? I looked at most of the
> files and they appear to be binaries of some sort.  Is there any good way
> of recovering these?

i have never seen a good way. anytime i get stuff in lost+found
(which is quite rare) i just consider the data lost. it is much
like the FILE????.CHK that MS scandisk dumps out when it finds
lost clusters. same for that case too, i just consider the data
gone. unless theres some really important information stored in
plain text then maybe i can grep it out, but otherwise the procedure
to recover such a thing would not be worth it for any data I have
lost.

nate