Re: OT: Digital camera, SanDisk, and Debian

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 00:47, Kent West wrote:

> David and Craig provided some good info also.
>
> Can either the DX-3500/3700 do movie clips? Audio? After a little
> research, I'm leaning toward Fiju FinePix 2800Z. Any pros/cons? I like
> the price of the DX-3500 though. Is the MMC/SD slot on the 3700 a
> superset of CF? In other words, will standard CF cards work in it? Are
> MMC/SD cards more expensive/proprietary/hard-to-find/etc?

I have a FinePix 2600, which does short movie clips but no audio, and it
connects as a USB storage device .  Personally, I bought the Fuji 2600
because it was the cheapest 2 megapixel camera I could find that had an
optical zoom.  It also works just fine with Linux - it is recognized as
a USB mass storage device and appears to be a SCSI drive to the kernel.

There are 4 completely different flash memory card types available now -
CF, MMC/SD, SmartMedia, and MemoryStick.  None of these is compatible
with any other, except that there are CF adapters that will let you plug
some of the other types into a CF slot.  The others are all physically
smaller than CF and sufficiently different shapes that it is unlikely
that there will be adapters made to convert between them.  CF is the
cheapest type, but none of them are particularly hard to find; many
retail stores now carry some selection of cards in the photo section
next to the digital cameras - exactly which cards depends on what they
stock for cameras.  There are speed differences in the different types
of media, as well, but I don't know anything beyond the fact that there
are differences.