Re: [Disaster Recovery] Can I do something like One Button Disaster Recovery?

hi ya

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Chris Tillman wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:55:47PM +0800, Simon Tneoh Chee-Boon wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >     Thanks in advance for any helps.
> > What I plan to do is:
> > 1) Setup the server for OS and applications.
> > 2) Have a full-backup of the server, including server's configuration,
> > applications and etc, into a tape.
> > 3) Backup the data daily into tape.
> >     If the harddisk crash, I'll put in a new harddisk, restore the OS
> > and applications from tape.
> > And restore the data from the daily backup tape.

when you restore from tape... it assume that debian is already running
on that disk ???
	- restoring the old backup from tape onto the new disk might
	require intervention before allow the old config on tape to
	overwrite the new version that is running that is reading the tape

	- make sure the new deb install is the same as on tape ???
	w/o any new updates yet ??

- keep multiple versions of tape ...
	- monthly tapes, weekly tapes, daily tapes,... etc.etc..
	( backup disks in my case ... i dont use tapes )

> >     Can I do like what I plan above? i.e. a fresh new blank harddisk,
> > with some Debian installation
> > floppy disk and restore from the backup tape.
> >     Where can I find related information about this?

free backup scripts
http://www.Linux-Backup.net

http://www.linux-backup.net/app.gwif.html  - see bottom of page

c ya