Re: .gif's spotted on debian.org ?!

<quote who="John Hasler">
> Dan Jacobson writes:
>> Aren't uncompressed gifs in general wastefully large?  Definitely not <
>> smart computing?
>
> Probably not, for small, simple images (though I favor not using the damn
> images at all).
>
>> ...isn't it still a bad message to give that 'we support gifs'...
>
> It isn't a matter of supporting GIFs.  It's a matter of paying royalties.

i coulda swore somewhere i read that one could get around
the gif patent issue and still use gifs, they just couldn't
be encoded in that one way.

i found this page:
http://prtr-13.ucsc.edu/~badger/software/libungif/index.shtml

"So it came to pass that libungif was born, a library which could be
called in the same manner as giflib, but created uncompressed gifs instead
of ones encoded with LZW.  This allowed programmers to write software that
was capable of talking to either giflib or libungif during the transition
from gif to png."

nate