building pine and stale dpkg entries

    Hello.

    I'm trying to help a friend who's a Pine fan, get it built on Debian. I
recall that it must be built from source, but I can't find any references on
the Debian site to what the package names are.

    I finally found the following:

tigger:~# dpkg -l "pine*"
uppercase=bad)
un  pine           <none>         (no description available)
pn  pine-docs      <none>         (no description available)
pn  pine-tracker   <none>         (no description available)
pn  pine396-diffs  <none>         (no description available)
pn  pine396-src    <none>         (no description available)
pn  pine4-diffs    <none>         (no description available)
pn  pine4-src      <none>         (no description available)
pn  pinepgp        <none>         (no description available)

    I tried pine4-diffs and pine4-src, but they're apparently not available.
Why would they be in my available file if they're not available? How do I fix
that, and where to such "stale" entries come from?

    I then tried "apt-get source --compile pine", and that seems to work. My
question is, how would I know this? I tried an apt-cache search for pine but
it didn't show source packages. The FAQ doesn't mention the package names
either.

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix