Re: At peace with Debian (was: This is the last war...)

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:29:16 -0700, ben wrote:

>On Sunday 14 July 2002 08:19 pm, Gary Turner wrote:
>[snip]
>>
>> Actually the "their business..." jarred me.  Making "professional"
>> plural would cure the "their problem," but asks, "Is the right mind a
>> collective one?"  So how about:  "No right minded professional would use
>> Debian on business computers...."
>>
>> Just like programming, once you figure out what to write, it's all a
>> matter of syntax.  :)
>
>how about:
>
>no professional in their right mind would use debian on a business computer.
>
>the logic of the statement infers that the professional must already be
>endowed with the right to choose the software. ownership of the computer is
>irrelevant.

Both our versions did away with the implied ownership and the clumsy
plural pronoun.  Unfortunately, my "right minded" implies the moral
prerogative, and that discomfits me.  Your's returns to the plural
pronoun for singular noun substitution which still jars me. Perhaps one
more iteration will do the trick.  "No sane professional would use
Debian on (a) business computer(s)."
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---