Re: apt-pinning problem regarding an unstable package

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 04:11:01AM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> I'm running a Woody machine with some packages from unstable. On a
> routine check for the adequacy of my /etc/apt/preferences file, I
> get this:
>
>    # apt-cache policy diff
>    diff:
>          50 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>
>    # apt-cache policy openoffice.org
>    openoffice.org:
>         500 http://www.phy.olemiss.edu unstable/contrib Packages
Where did you get this?  For these UNOFFICIAL sources, I check:
http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/

This is not listed.  I thought binary distribution of Openoffice was
no no.  I can not access it any more.
> My /etc/apt/preferences file specifies a pin-priority of 50 for
> unstable, like this:
>    Package: *
>    Pin: release a=unstable
>    Pin-Priority: 50
>
> Anyone knows why apt ignores the apt-pinning for the openoffice.org
> package from unstable? Is it because it's coming from a machine other
> than the ones under .debian.org?

Basically, apt source http://www.phy.olemiss.edu is given default pin.
What was the content of Release file there?  If it did was not created
with unstable entry, this happens.  Since this site is no longer
accessible from me, I can not tell what exactly happened.

> Any responses coming later that 5 minutes from now and not completely
> solving the problem will have you all killfiled, and me and all my
> friends and relatives and their pets switching to VaxVMS :)

If you want to prevent SPAM, say 1-2 days at least.  Mailing list
sometimes takes 8 hours to send mail :)  I think this is wrong approach,
though.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.