RE:Help: Nuked /var

> <quote who="Tim Wood">
> > Hi,
> > I won't bore everybody with the gory details:)
> >

> > Naturally /var/lib/dpkg has the wrong archive data, but it is pretty
> > close.
> >
> > I am very reluctant to seek cds to completely reload the OS.
> >
> > What do you all think will be the future problems?
>
> random failures, lotta stuff like cron entries and mail stuff
> is in that filesystem. if dpkg still works you may be able
> to recover some of it by finding out what packages had what
> files in /var, on my laptop i did this:
> dpkg --get-selections | awk '{print $1}' | xargs dpkg -L | grep '/var'
>
> which showed me the files packages placed in /var then you
> could use packages.debian.org to track down what files go
> to what package and reinstall it.
>
> if you still have /var/lib/locate, a way to possibly determine
> more recent files would be:
>
> locate '/var/'
>
> unless the system isn't important and you don't care about
> it i would reinstall.
>
> nate

I do not have any /var/lib, other than the copy from my desktop.
Dpkg does work, giving me the details of packages installed on the
desktop.
It's a dual boot system with win2k - that now refuses to boot, since I
scheduled a chkdsk. Running chkdsk was the original source of the entire
saga.
I do take your point about a reinstall but I only have a 31.2k link and
there is a lot of stuff which I doubt is available on CD. I'm off to
Melbourne, for 2 weeks, tomorrow(I live in Perth), and will get the 8CD
set for the July Woody - not sure at what point I will try a reinstall.
It will be later, rather than sooner, as the Linux system is functioning
fine, now?!

Tim