Re: Help: Nuked /var

<quote who="Tim Wood">
> Hi,
> I won't bore everybody with the gory details:)
>

> Naturally /var/lib/dpkg has the wrong archive data, but it is pretty
> close.
>
> I am very reluctant to seek cds to completely reload the OS.
>
> What do you all think will be the future problems?

random failures, lotta stuff like cron entries and mail stuff
is in that filesystem. if dpkg still works you may be able
to recover some of it by finding out what packages had what
files in /var, on my laptop i did this:
dpkg --get-selections | awk '{print $1}' | xargs dpkg -L | grep '/var'

which showed me the files packages placed in /var then you
could use packages.debian.org to track down what files go
to what package and reinstall it.

if you still have /var/lib/locate, a way to possibly determine
more recent files would be:

locate '/var/'

unless the system isn't important and you don't care about
it i would reinstall.

nate