Re: Upgrading to 2.4 kernel in Woody

jennyw wrote:
> I'm using Woody with GRUB.  I want to move to the 2.4
> kernel and have been reading about how to do so.  I saw
> in an old message that the procedure is to apt-get the
> kernel image then edit menu.lst.  However, when I try to
>  apt-get the kernel image, I get a message:
>
> "You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image
> (version 2.4.16-k7) This will not work unless you have
> configured your boot loader to use initrd."
>
> I tried to look up docs on initrd -- seems to be a method
> of loading a kernel onto a RAM disk.  I'm not sure how to
> config grub to work with initrd.  I'd experiment, but I'm
> not experienced with bootloaders and I don't want to end
> up with a situation where I can't run the OS any longer.
>  :-(
>
> Any advice?

I like this - a straightforward question that also has a
straightforward answer :)

Here's how the relevant section of my menu.1st looks:

#Boot Debian 3.0 on SCSI drive
title Debian 3.0, Kernel 2.4.18
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-686 root=/dev/sda2
initrd /initrd.img-2.4.18-686

You'll probably be on hd0, so root will be (hd0,0). Also
worth noting here is that I have a separate /boot partition,
which grub refers to as (hd1,0) on my comp. If you do not
have a separate /boot partition then the kernel and initrd
entries should look like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686 root=/dev/hda1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686

But you can probably figure that out from your existing grub
entries :)

> P.S. What exactly is the worst case scenario?  If I ask
> apt-get to go ahead and continue the install anyway, will
> I be able to boot my old kernel if the new one doesn't
> work?  Maybe I'm all worried about nothing?

Worst case scenario? You can't boot your new kernel but grub
can still boot the old one providing that you change nothing
in relation to the old kernel.

Oh, and in case you want to add a little bit of 80s era DOS
colouring to your grub boot menu, try adding something like
this to your menu.1st (a combination I like):

color black/magenta green/red

This gives a black on magenta colouring for your entries
with a green on red highlight :)

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV