Re: apt-cache and apt_preferences

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:45:21PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I am trying to understand how to use apt preferences and pinning.

Welcome.  Good way to manage testing/unstable box.

> I have read man apt_preferences several times and am confused. I have
> Googled apt preferences and found many links to the man page. But I
> would like somethine else, since I don't understand the man page, i.e.
> an alternative explanation that is somewhat more discursive than the
> man page. Is there such?

Try this with deb-src lines in sources.list

$ apt-get source apt
$ cd apt-0.5.4/apt-pkg
$ pager policy.cc
$ pager policy.h

   Priority Table:

   1000 -> inf = Downgradeable priorities
   1000        = The 'no downgrade' pseduo-status file
   100 -> 1000 = Standard priorities
   990         = Config file override package files
   989         = Start for preference auto-priorities
   500         = Default package files
   100         = The status file
   0 -> 100    = NotAutomatic sources like experimental
   -inf -> 0   = Never selected

Nothing is more authoritative than THE SOURCE :)

I remember reading some complain on mailing list about negative pin.
(So not all function seem to work.)

Seriously, I suggest following.

1) Get latest English version of APT HOWTO read it.
  (There were some new additions etc.)
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html
2) Read Chapter 5 and 6 of my reference.
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch-tutorial.en.html
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch-woody.en.html
  Also poke into their examples(**)
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/examples/
  preferences.stable
  preferences.testing
  preferences.unstable

These examples gives, I think, useful starting point for most user.

Please consider both of these as "an user experience memo".  You have to
try and test it.  Never blindly follow these secondary information.

> I have already found an APT HOWTO, but it is trivially different from
> the man page, an example or two use different target package names, so
> it does not help me. Also, it mentions an /etc/apt/apt.conf _file_
> which is not present on my Woody, so I wonder if it is, perhaps,
> obsolete.

Get template from /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/apt.conf

It does not seem to be installed by the current apt.
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.