apt-cache and apt_preferences

I am trying to understand how to use apt preferences and pinning.

I have read man apt_preferences several times and am confused. I have Googled
apt preferences and found many links to the man page. But I would like
somethine else, since I don't understand the man page, i.e. an alternative
explanation that is somewhat more discursive than the man page. Is there such?

I have already found an APT HOWTO, but it is trivially different from the
man page, an example or two use different target package names, so it does
not help me. Also, it mentions an /etc/apt/apt.conf _file_ which is not
present on my Woody, so I wonder if it is, perhaps, obsolete.

TIA

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com