Re: A big thanks to all Debian developers.

Welcome :)

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 07:12:28PM -0400, dsr@tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> After whacking my head against Red Hat's dependency jungle one too
> many times, I set aside a few hours today to do a complete conversion
> of my home workstation to Debian.
>
> I decided to prove to myself that Debian was the right choice by doing
> the install from a LinuxMall Debian 2.0 CD. Yes, that's right, I
> installed Hamm.

Wow, you started with Hamm.

> - Booted the CD
> - Mounted my swap partition
> - mke2fs'd my / and mounted that
> - installed the base system
> - edited /etc/apt/sources.list to include current stable
> - apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> I then had to repeat "apt-get -f install" a number of times, until it
> was sufficiently ready to be rebooted for a 2.2 kernel. Note: it
> doesn't appear to be possible to go from a 2.0 kernel directly to a
> 2.4 kernel -- there are interactions with modutils and initrd-tools.

potato is only for 2.2.  Move onto woody.  It should not be hard to
upgrade to woody.

> A few more "apt-get -f install"s, and I rebooted again into a 2.4
> kernel. Finally, I added the software I needed, configured X (AGP and
> PCI Matrox Millenium 200 cards, Xinerama) and was done.

Did you use adrian's 2.4 package?  Otherwise 2.4 id off limit to potato,
I thought.

> So a big thank you to all Debian developers, and to every user who's
> ever answered a question on a mailing list or contributed a bug
> report.

Time to move to testing.  (Or you already did?)

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.