Japanese Input?

And now on to the next project.

Just now a client walked into our Internat Cafe / Spanish School asking if any
of the computers are setup for typing in Japanese. Which is good because I need
someone who can actually type Japanese to test it out. I have installed the
wnn-jserver and kinput2 packages kind of following the instructions at:
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/intl/kinput2/kinput2-inst.html

I could not get the system to type funny caracters. Anyone have any experience
setting up a multi-lingual system? We are running Debian/Woody Gnome1.4 with
Galeon as the Web Browser. Basically we want to click an icon and be able to
start typing Japanese caracters inside a webmail interface.