Re: Can't connect to Internet

Anita writes:
> What do you mean about RedHat?

Red Hat used to use some squirrelly scripts and whacky permissions.
Perhaps they've changed.  Using wvdial would be a big step up for them.

> His way is totally manual and let's you know how the files work.
> Possibly the files are in a different place than /etc/ppp/ but I don't
> think so.

He wants you to write Slackware-style scripts, a task likely to frighten
off most new users.  Debian's pon and poff use the /etc/ppp/peers/provider
mechanism recommended by the ppp upstream maintainers.  Pppconfig sets up
the necessary files but does not interfere with hand editing.

> Maybe you can explain what you mean and I will understand.

He wants you to make pppd executable by all users.  On Debian pppd is
executable by the dip group and pppconfig offers to put users in this
group.  He also wants you to make pppd suid root.  On Debian it already
is.  He wants you to make the serial port world writeable.  This is not
necessary when using the /etc/ppp/peers mechanism.  He wants you to mess
with syslog.conf.  On Debian it already properly configured and the plog
command will show the contents of ppp.log.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)