Re: does debian really suck this much?

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 06:20:16PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
<snip>

I like this bit (emphasis mine):

> >     * To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >     * Subject: xfree
> >     * From: Stephen Turner <artic_knight@yahoo.com>
> >     * Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > I went through the default configuration tool several times, I dont know
> > the exact specs of my monitor but I do know it worked with woody a while
> > back (havent used debian in a while) under those same settings, however
> > now it just gives me a jumbled almost snowy looking screen im not sure how
> > to configure x to work now, I was wondering what you recommend? im running
> > a athelon tbird 1.4 system on the ali chip set with 256 ddr and geforce2
> > 32mb ddr *the monitor is a vision graphic* thanks for any help

<snip>

How are people meant to help your configure X if *you* don't even know
what our hardware is? You don't even give any indication as to the
size of the monitor, let alone refresh rates. In short, if you don't
know these you'll have a hard time configuring X effectively.

Some monitors list these on their backs - almost all monitors I have
come across at least have a model number printed somewhere on
them. If you searched Google with the precise model, you probaby would
have found the information you needed.

Just for future reference.

--
Daniel Rees // e: dan@dwrees.co.uk // w: http://www.dwrees.co.uk