Re: Kernel 2.4.18 panic on orinoco null event

Hi,

I don't have much to specifically advise you on this Orinoco issue, but...

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> Help please?!?  The wireless card in my laptop + its driver is causing a
> kernel panic.
>
> HW:
> 	laptop with built-in 802.11b card
> 	P4 1.7
> OS:
> 	Woody & kernel 2.4.18
>
> running dhclient-2-2-x causes the following error:
>
> Unable to handle kernel NULL ponter dereference at virtual
> address 0000 0078
> Tainted: P

In case you weren't aware, the tainted flag above signifies that your kernel
is using binary-only (or at least, non-compatible licensed-) drivers, which
means that the kernel-developers are probably going to have a hard time
helping track this down (since they don't have source for driver).

They'll probably ask if you can reproduce it in scenarios when your kernel
is not tainted (it stays so till reboot: check with
'cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted')

Sorry I can't be of more help, and take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics