mutt and evolution on same mboxes

hi everyone,

I'm trying to migrate over to mutt from evolution (well, from eudora on my mac, really, but I went with evolution when I started debian a month ago). Is it safe to use the two programs on the same mbox's? When I've tried it it's ended up confusing evolution... which is a drag since I'm not that familiar with mutt and also haven't figured out how to set up my computer to send messages with it yet (this problem I hope to solve on my own...).

anyway, was wondering if anyone had t ried this.  t hanks,
matt