Re: does debian really suck this much?

While I don't notice the untasteful attitude of "holier than thou" too
much on the mailing list, it definitely pervades the whole of #debian on
irc.openprojects.net with its stench. Which is the primary reason why I
quit going there many months ago ... at the most offensive are two
operators that I feel make the channel a very unpleasant place to be
IMO.

I give a lot of space to the Debian folk, however. I forget what the
actual package count is up to these days, but it's certainly in the
10,000 range. That's a SHITLOAD of software to have to maintain binary
compatibility with. And by a bunch of pure volunteers at that.

I _do_ think there is an attitude problem with Debian, but I'm uncertain
as to whether this is something that was easier to ignore in the past or
if it has indeed gotten worse.

For me, I've moved to an alternate distribution where attitudes haven't
yet climbed into an ivory tower for my primary PC. I keep Debian on all
my other machines because I still prefer the myriad features of the
distribution that makes remote administration such a breeze.

There was a time when I would have snickered at somebody that chose a
distribution based on the attitudes of the most vocal users, but with
the plethora of distributions out there and the growing sophistication
of GNU/Linux software apart from distribution-specific configurations, I
see myself moving in that direction at a much accelerated rate.

Anyway, not that anyone really cares, but this is just my 2c.

Sean