X-newbie question

Hello all,

I'm rather a newbie whenit comes to all things related to X-windows. Recently, I saw some incredible screenshots of KDE 3 and I decided it was time to enhance my laptop with this wonderful software. I've looked around and didn't really find any satisfactory .deb packages, so I came to the KDE-site itself and decided to do some compiling.

After a few hours and some dependencies which I had to work through, I finally did all the work and found myself having compiled the aRTs, Lib and Base package of KDE, but nothing appeared as I thought it would have. Now I'm really a newbie at X as I said, and haven't got the foggiest where and what all the configuration files mean. I've done the XFree4.2.0 install from the woody repository and therefore have a nice self-starting system with both KDE2 and WindowMaker. My question is: how do I convince X that KDE3 is installed as well, and show it to me in the drop-down when I log in?

Regards,

Alex.