Re: X-newbie question

Alex,

On Saturday 13 July 2002 02:15 am, Alex Crouzen wrote:
> I'm rather a newbie when it comes to all things related to X-windows.
> Recently, I saw some incredible screenshots of KDE 3 and I decided it
> was time to enhance my laptop with this wonderful software. I've looked
> around and didn't really find any satisfactory .deb packages, so I came
> to the KDE-site itself and decided to do some compiling.

[snip stuff about trouble configuring startup of kde3]

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://kde3.geniussytems.net/debian ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~bab/kde3 ./

and optionally

deb http://kde3.geniussystems.net/debian/liquid ./

if you want Mosfet's Liquid.

The first line: Chris Cheney's (the kde maintainer) preliminary kde3 debs.
They work for me....if you're on i386 or powerpc, use those.  They'll take
care of the configuration, and you can then help test the kde3 packages that
will eventually wind up in a debian release.

The second line is where you'll find the various packages that Ben Burton
maintains, including the artwork packages which seem to interest you.  :)

Word of warning: the dependencies/conflicts with kde2 and within the kde3
packages can get messy and ugly...be careful and make sure you're doing what
you want.  I used dselect (use aptitude if you prefer) and not apt-get to
upgrade from kde2.  Even then it took a few tries to get it right. :)

If you're on an arch besides i386 or ppc, and want kde3 right _now_, then
you'd have to compile.  Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would?

If you still want to use the compiled stuff.....try various kde help
resources?  I would guess your problem lies in the setup of kdm, but beyond
that I don't know - because I don't have to bother configuring it (thank you
debian package maintainers!).  Perhaps clues could also be found in the
source of Chris Cheney's packages.

Hope this helps,
David Richmond
drich@symphonicman.com