Re: DELETED /dev/cdrom Ooops!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:49:44PM -0700, Dom Leon wrote:
> Could someone please let me know what I can do if I
> deleted /dev/cdrom =((
>
> Im sure I probably have to reinstall it or something,
> but I only have access to the floppy drive. Can I
> still do it? Please let me know where I can find
> documentation to resolve this...

As root, type: dmesg | more

and find out which device is your cdrom drive. It'll probably have a
line like:

hdc: DV-28E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

in it. Then:

cd /dev
ln -s <device> cdrom

so if hdc is your cdrom device then you would do:

cd /dev
ln -s hdc cdrom

And you're sweet.

/dev/cdrom is just a symlink (usually) to the access point on your
filesystem to the driver controlling the device. These can be recreated
easily without having to reinstall anything.

--
GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCEMENT - The  government announced  today that  it is
changing its mascot  to a condom because  it more clearly reflects the