Re: Where is Debian going?

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:49:40 -0500
"Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:

>  On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 05:51:20PM -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
>  | On Jul 11, 2002 at 02:04 +0800, csj wrote:
>  | > On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:03:17 -0500
>  | > "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:
>
>  | > Maybe instead of stable, testing, and unstable, we can have:
>  | > server(must be stable), desktop (with newer but not bleeding edge
>  | > stuff) and developer (because they're the ones who're in the best
>  | > position to fix it).
>
>  As long as the names' connotations convey their intent, it really
>  doesn't matter what they are.
>
>  Just be careful with calling one release "server"  and one "desktop"
>  :
>      Do you want people to think that they can only run "server" on a
>      server?
>          (I run testing/unstable on some servers, and I say it is
>          still better than RH)
>      Do you want people to think they can't install debian on their
>          desktop because "desktop" doesn't have official CDs?

Perhaps you didn't see the invisible winky ;-). I agree. I don't care
what the names are. And I suspect most gnubies don't either. My point is
that the definition of "stable" to most Debiants is tied up inexorably
to the server model (never has a tummy ache even if it runs 24/7).
Servers tend to be quite boring, and so a day-old Apache release
probably has less bugs than a month-old Mozilla.

So why not allow an "unstable" end-user software like Mozilla 1.0 into
an otherwise "stable" distribution? In case of library conflicts, the
versions necessary for mission-critical software takes precedence. If
building is impossible, then the end-user software isn't allowed in.

Since Debian is a volunteer-based organization, this might require a
changeover into a two-maintainer structure. Someone will take care of
the unstable port and another the stable. Something which has
already been (or is being) "unofficially" done.