RE: Where is Debian going?

In the world of software, "stable", "testing" and "unstable"
are pretty much the norm.  Why change this?

Also, creating a "codename" or "project name" are in fact
A LOT easier to track than using version numbers

Shall I remind folks that we have names like "Chicago" (Windows 95),
and "Cairo" (Windows NT/2000)... making it into the press?  Microsoft
is famous for calling "code names" before actual version, and sometimes,
these codenames actually end up being the product name.  Hence, OS X,
or Warp.

How about "Carbon", "Aqua" and things of that nature?

Case-and-point:  Try and follow this mess hypathetical mess:

"2.4.18r1 is not as stable as 2.4.18, but 2.4.18r1 contains a patch
that allows you to upgrade to 2.4.19 easier, therefore using 2.4.18r1
makes sense over using 2.4.18."

Translate that using objects names instead of version stamps...

"Cat is not as stable as Dog, but Cat contains a patch that allows you
to upgrade to Mouse easier, therefore using Cat makes sense over
using Dog."

I don't know about you, but the first part might be understood, but
its clearly something you need to read a couple times to make sure
you got it right.  The second example is MUCH clearer.

Naming things Potato, Woody or Pig... its FAR easier to identify.

g.