Re: Where is Debian going?

On Jul 10, 2002 at 09:29 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

>     1.3 bo
>     2.0 hamm
>     2.1 slink
>     2.2 potato

Ah, thanks for the info -- I thought there were numbers in there; just
didn't know what they are.

After reading everyone's responses, I think I agree that the real
problem is long gap between stable releases.  Also I think it would be
easier for newbies if the *existing* numbering scheme were more
commonly used on mailing lists and in the docs (or even in apt-get,
for that matter -- can I put version numbers in my priorities, instead
of names?).  I don't want to belabor the issue though.  Some better
auto-configuration tools would pay off much more for newbies than any
name changes.

Just a general observation: as a developer (of other stuff, not Debian
so far) I'm pleased when my work sees wider use.  Personally I think
some awareness of marketing, in the loosest sense, is a good thing.  I
don't think pursuing quality in the product is in direct conflict with
friendliness to newbies.  And I realize it's far from my place to tell
volunteers what their priorities should be; I'm just offering my
observations as a new user.

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com