Re: Hardware Question...

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 23:56, Cash Coleman wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thank you for reading this letter - I have a question about installing
> GNU Linux on an RS6000 J30.
>
> This system (in particular) contains 8 603e processors @ 200MHz, 2GB
> RAM, and 9GB local SCSI storage... I wanted to check with you guys
> before attempting to install your distro on it.
>
> If you could give me any pointers on this, that would be helpful as
> well!

I think I'd start here:
http://www.kernel.org/
http://penguinppc.org/intro.shtml
http://penguinppc.org/projects/hw/
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/linux/projects/ppc/models.php
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

That looks like an old machine.  From the IBM site:
"MCA: POWER- and MCA-based machines do not work at all. The only
development effort for these machines is located at
http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/rs6k/";

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81         |
| "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect  |
|  liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men     |
|  born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their |
|  liberty by evil minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty |
|  lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning    |
|  but without understanding."                                    |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |