RE: Digital Cameras

Of course most of us buy a camera and keep it for a while - but...  I will
be buying a Dazzle 6-in-1 reader
(http://www.dazzle.com/products/cardreaders.html).  Hopefully it will keep
me going well into the future no matter which way I zigzag on any future
purchase.  As an aside - my long term goal is to own a Canon D60 or
something like it.  Sweet, but it uses a different media than my current
camera.

I have the SanDisk SmartMedia reader (on my WinBox) and it has worked well.
Looks just like a removable disk.  I have been told by a couple of different
camera shops that the media readers are typically more reliable than trying
to read the camera itself and I have to say that I can vouch for that after
playing with both a Fuji and Olympus camera.

I can't speak for either the SanDisk or Dazzle on Debian - haven't had a
chance to try it since upgrading to Woody and the 2.4 kernel.  Never had the
patience to try to get it going on Potato.  Any other users out there that
can comment to these card readers on Linux?

A few comments on cameras:

Had an Olympus 1.3Mpix as my first.  It was nice as a first camera - cost
$350 at the time.  But it got dropped once and just slowly got flakier and
flakier.

During a visit to my sister I was shown me the Canon PowerShot S30 - 3Mpix.
My sister later sent me a couple of the photos and the movie (with sound)
taken by the S30.  I was quite impressed with quality of the images.  While
I was there I had been impressed at how solid the S30 felt when compared to
my Olympus.

I went to buy an S30/S40 two weeks ago as my wife and I were going on a trip
to visit our daughter (and our grandson!).  All sources showed it
back-logged by 2+ weeks.  Needed something that weekend - period as my
Olympus finally had, for all practical purposes, died.

So I picked up the Fuji FinePix F601 zoom, a 3Mpix camera with 15FPS movies
and sound.  To date I have been completely satisfied with the quality of
both the pictures and the movies.  30fps would be better, but we captured a
lot of nice video clips of the grandson.

As for the Nikon CoolPix.  A friend of mine picked up one for his wife who
has an interior decorating business.  She goes through 100+ shots a week.
He has been very happy with it.  He specifically mentioned the usefulness of
having the swivel lens.

I would think that for Web applications one of the 1.3Mpix or 2Mpix cameras
should be sufficient unless you want users to be able to download full 21"
screen versions.

Bottom line: You would probably be happy with a digital camera from any of
the major brand 35MM camera makers.  From my work experience of 25+ years
ago, Canon and Nikon were at the top of the heap optically (Canon a little
more consistent than Nikon at the time) for lenses made in Japan.  This job
was at a research lab where lenses were bought a few dozen at a whack; bench
tested and the rejects sent back.  The best at that time (in 35mm) was
Alpa-Switar, but very expensive in comparison to Canon and Nikon.  The
application was a rack of cameras mounted in a KC-135 (military &07 jet)
that were used to record rocket nose-cone reentries.

Hope this is fodder for thought and not just noise.
Cheers,
-rick