Re: Have Netgear FA310TX eth0 card/trying to set apt source

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin C. Smith" <smithkevinc@mchsi.com>
To: "Debian List" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: Have Netgear FA310TX eth0 card/trying to set apt source

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 01:15:33PM -0600, Sivea Key wrote:
> > Thanks, it's loaded and now I have a problem with dhcp not working. I
assume
> > that is because the network card driver wasn't installed so the os can't
use
> > that interface to set up the network configurations yet. So, I am
manually
> > configuring the network but would like to switch to dhcp (using a
linksys
> > BEFSR81cable router/switch with NAT) when I reboot. Suggestions?
> >

> Check out /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> Should have this:
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

I don't have the above in that file. I was having trouble getting ANY
networking after a cold boot. Now that I have networking on one Debian box,
I'm ready to move from static to dhcp. I am using NAT on a Linksys router.
Will that work for Debian?

> Try adding:
>
> "tulip" to /etc/modules
>
> Do you have a dhcp client installed? Such as dhcp-client or pump.

I have pump installed. Should I just change the /etc/network/interfaces as
above?

> Also you can always restart the network interfaces by doing:
>
> # /etc/init.d/networking restart

Thanks so much for your help!