Re: Ext3 or XFS (or none)?

<quote who="Dave Carrigan">
> On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 14:22, nate wrote:
>
> There hasn't been a new 2.4 release in nearly 5 months; how much more
> stable are you hoping for? I'm running 2.4.18 on many production
> machines and haven't had any crashes attributable to kernel bugs (other
> than XFS or Reiserfs).

which is great, at this rate, i think 2.4.20 or 2.4.21 will be good.
I want a kernel where when a new rev comes out nothing in it is considered
very important and is highly reccomended to upgrade(e.g. fix bad
bug, security fix etc). 2.2.19 is at that state for me now, even
though 2.2.20 is i think over a year old i still have no immediate
plans to use it. theres a couple minor issues in 2.2.19 but i can
live with it. 2.0.36 was at this stage back in the day too ..

2.4.18 is a good starting point for the 2.4.x kernel, i get the
impression that the new maintainer marc..(can't spell the name)
is going to focus on making it solid.

i read kernel traffic every week so i keep pretty up to date
on what goes on in the development of the kernel ..waiting for
the day ........

in the meantime i either do without the 2.4.x features, or
use another OS to do something that 2.2.x isn't good at(e.g.
freebsd for packet sniffing). i've used 2.4.x off and on,
and just don't see a pressing need to upgrade. slap on all
the major changes it's gone through before it hit the new
maintainer and that makes me want to let it cool off for
a few revisions before i think about using it again.

i wish there was a place where i could get backported critical
patches for the kernel, if i could i'd still be on 2.2.10
which was(other then 2.2.19) the most solid kernel i've used.

nate