Re: debian 2.2 setup program

Tim Kent wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Today I attempted an install of Debian 2.2 on an Intel
> box with 4 drives.  The box had two SCSI disks and two
> IDE disks.  When I started the install, I selected my
> root partition to be '/dev/sda1' and my swap to sit on
> the same drive also, but when the install asked me about
> LILO, it showed the hda device and appeared to have
> installed to that.
>
> Is it possible at all to recover the remaining files on
> the IDE disk? I'm assuming the superblock and all copies
> have been overwritten with mke2fs but the data is still
> sitting there somewhere. (the partition layout is the
> same as before)

The files on the IDE disk should still all be there; LILO
has only written itself into the mbr of the disk. It went
for the IDE Disk because Intel machines attempt to boot from
IDE disks first unless told not to in the BIOS.

What is on the IDE disk? Windows? If so then the Windows
partition can be mounted in linux. LILO can also be
configured to boot both WIndows and linux.

We need just a little bit more info to really help - ie, is
there an OS on that disk and if so, what is it? Do you still
want to be able to boot it or just access the data that is
there?

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV