problem booting

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 06:33:39PM +1000, Chris Kenrick wrote:

  > I can't really understand why
  > uninstalling the x-server would affect this sort of stuff, unless you've
  > accidentally uninstalled a bit more than you bargained for...

  I guess so too. The idea was upgrading the system from potato to woody
  with kernel version 2.4 . Finally, as I can see, the system now goes to
  the shell prompt  init-2.05# instead of asking for login id or passwd on
  booting. Files under /home are not visile unless explicitly mounted.

  BTW, $echo PATH returned the paths /usr/sbin, /usr/bin ........
  also, the update-rc.d is missing in /usr/sbin. I tried installing
  sysvinit package but got the following errors.

  W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
  E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt
  E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

  Thanks for any help,

--
Lakshmi S.                                lakshmi at uomphysics dot net

It is better to have loved and lost than just to have lost.