Re: S3 driver in X-Window 4.1.16

David Fisher <david@colossus.apana.org.au> wrote:

Hi all,

I am attempting to install woody on an old box belonging to a friend to wean her off Windows and toward the path of goodness.

The machine has an S3 Trio 64V+ video card. Now I thought I was alright on this one as the xfree86 site says it is supported by the S3 driver in 4.1, as distinct from the S3Virge driver. The S3 driver does not appear to be present under that name in the Debian X packages in Woody, however (although the Virge driver certainly is).

Does anyone know if it is present with a non-obvious handle or has it not been included for some reason? Do I go back to X-Window 3.3.6?

David

I don't think this particular card IS "supported" by the native drivers in XFree86 4.1. This is the quote from the "Driver Status for XFree86[tm] 4.1.0 : S3" on the XFree86 web site:

Only the ViRGE, Trio3D and Savage chipsets are supported in 4.1.0. All of the other chipsets are supported only in 3.3.6.

Note: the S3 Trio 64V+ is one of the "All of the other chipsets..." group.

All is not lost, however. Just "apt-get install" the xserver-common-v3 package and the xserver-s3 package from the woody ftp/http sites and configure it. I know this works, because I ran a 3.3.6 "SVGA"server under XFree86 version 4.1 for about 3 months here (quite by accident) until I found out my card was covered by the newer xserver-xfree86!

The good people at XFree86 built in this "safety valve" to allow use of cards that are not "supported" by the new xserver-xfree86 server + associated modules. This essentially allows you to run the all the old xservers from 3.3.6 on a version 4.x install. Normally you wouldn't want to do this..... unless your card is not "supported" ;)

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-