Re: OT: Monitor Jitter Problems

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:52:50AM -0500, nick lidakis wrote:
> This is off topic but....
>
> On June 18 I decided to replace my 8 year old Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 17"
> monitor. I purchased a Sony 21" CPD-G520 CRT
> monitor from my local retailer. Upon connecting the monitor to my
> machine I noticed what I can only describe as a squiggling on all
> vertical borders of windows and text. Anything on the horizontal axis is
> fine. This isn't ghosting, but a constant motion of the pixels bordering
> anything on the vertical axis.
>
> Things I have tried to alleviate the condition:
>
> New Vga cables  ($9 comp usa and a $120 HDTV svga cable)
> play with all resolutions and refresh rates (win 98 and debian xfree 4.2)
> try 2nd video input
> new power cord
> swap video cards (radeon, matrox g200, matrox g450)
> remove speakers from room
> change location of monitor and cpu to different room and electricla line
> make sure fridge and ac were off
> self test mode with no video card attached shows same effects
>
> Upon contacting Sony tech support and describing  my problem and
> everything I have tried they agreed to send me
> a new replacement at no cost to me. The second monitor arrived yesterday
> and is exhibiting the exact same behavior.
> I have done a google earch and have come across a few web sites that
> describe the effects of "monitor jitter" secondary to magnetic fields.
> These companies specialize in shielding entire offices or selling
> monitor enclosures that protect the monitors
> from these magnetic forces.
>
> My question to list is, has anyone had to deal with this phenomenon? My
> Mitsubishi monitor never displayed any of this behavior.Should I really
> have to spend more money ($800 USD for the monitor) on shielding
> paraphernalia just to achieve a stable picture?
>
> After contacting Sony tech support a second time tonight, they want to
> ship me a third monitor. They also advised me that since the monitor
> displays this squiggling in self test mode (with no vga cable attached)
> the computer plays no role.

Don't spend your own money on cable and shielding. This is, indeed, a
problem internal to the monitor. Sony needs to get these monitors back from
you and confront some ee with the fact that his design was mistaken.

You might try carrying the monitor to a few different locations and seeing
if self test mode still displays the problem. This might help the Sony
people find the problem. They deserve help. They are treating you honestly
while trying to debug a design problem. I have seen a lot less candor from
others.

> Any suggestions or past experiences welcome.
>

> Nick Lidakis
>

> --

Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com