Re: What are framebuffer devices good for?

At 06:22 AM 07/08/02 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
>On my laptop, text mode shows up in 640X480 resolution, small and in the
>middle of the screen.  I can increase the number of characters, but they
>still get packed into less than half the area of my screen.  With FB I get
>a to fill the whole screen with text!  :)  Of course, I don't use the FB
>for X, just for the virtual consoles, and if you never use those, you could
>just stick with plain text mode and it would never bother you.

Oh, that would be a nice change.  I just start X and use Eterm, but it
would be nice to have full use of the screen without X.

I just looked over http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html, but
I'm not really clear how (or really what) to set my vga= setting in lilo to
make it work.  lspci reports:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

On a somewhat related note:

I did say Yes to use FB when installing x-window-system, but I'm not clear
if X is using it.  I'm using XFree86 Version 4.2.0.

  egrep -i '(Fbde|Frame)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log
  (**) SAVAGE(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
  (--) SAVAGE(0): mapping framebuffer @ 0xf0000000 with size 0x800000
  (WW) SAVAGE(0): Option "UseFBDev" is not used

Any ideas?

BTW -- should general questions about X be posted to debain-x or here?

Questions like: why doesn't xdm let me log in?  Or what to do about some
messages in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

Thanks!

--
Bill Moseley