Re: What are framebuffer devices good for?

On Sun, 2002-07-07 at 13:47, andrej hocevar wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 08:06:52AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Don't use it!  Framebuffer considered insane!
> >
> Yes, I too know that one. And for a wile I didn't see a use for FB
> -- as a matter of fact, I got angry because of all that
> penguin-at-boot nonsense, seemed as if it were no joke, that Tux
> being the only notable change.
>
> Then I got a new monitor: a Sony LCD.
> And here I am, glad that FB exists!
> And Linus said it himself, avoid it IF you can. So, am I wrong or is
> there another way of making an LCD usable?

Remember Linus' quotes:
- "if they have the choice."
- "Some people don't have the choice"

Still, though, why does an LCD monitor need the framebuffer?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |