Re: Building packages from source (pcmcia-cs)

Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> writes:
> I'm about to build a new kernel and pcmcia-cs from sourceforge.  I have the
> debian package pcmcia-cs installed.  I'm not clear what I need to do to the
> existing package.  Should it be removed or placed on hold?

Why do you think you need the version from sourceforge?  In general,
versions of things in sid (unstable) tend to be very close to the last
released upstream version.  If all you want to do is build a new
kernel, I'd get kernel source from somewhere, install the
kernel-package and pcmcia-source packages, and follow the directions
in those packages' README files.  This doesn't require removing
anything or putting anything on hold.

> I tend not to ever use dselect for some reason -- I guess I find apt-get
> much clearer on what is going to happen.

I like aptitude, personally; its user interface is saner than
dselect's, and it gives you more control over what exactly gets
installed than just using apt-get from the command line.  I also find
it easier to browse through the available packages than blindly
apt-cache searching.  (And it lets you trivially put packages on
hold.  :-)

	-- Abra Mitchell