Re: Building packages from source (pcmcia-cs)

At 04:00 PM 07/08/02 -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
>Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> writes:
>> I'm about to build a new kernel and pcmcia-cs from sourceforge.  I have the
>> debian package pcmcia-cs installed.  I'm not clear what I need to do to the
>> existing package.  Should it be removed or placed on hold?
>
>Why do you think you need the version from sourceforge?

Thanks for responding David,

It was suggested to me on debian-laptop, although I now remember that was
to correct a problem I was having with another wireless card.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200206/msg00319.html

I now am using a Cisco Aironet 352 card, and when I plug it in it sometimes
reports:

     "Got weird status 1000"

Google has not been that helpful on that one, so I'm not really sure what
to look for (or if that's even a problem!).

I have an SMC access point and sometimes I need to power-cycle the access
point to get it to work with the Cisco card.  I'm not sure if it's a
problem with the access point and the Cisco card working (or not) together,
an outdate airo driver, or perhaps firmware on the wireless card.

My SMC card worked fine under Window (range sucked, though), and worked
fine under Debian, although at a slow data rate -- which was what the
debian laptop post was about.   The Cisco card has better range, but only
when it's working. ;)

>I like aptitude, personally; its user interface is saner than
>dselect's, and it gives you more control over what exactly gets
>installed than just using apt-get from the command line.  I also find
>it easier to browse through the available packages than blindly
>apt-cache searching.  (And it lets you trivially put packages on
>hold.  :-)

So far I've been a http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and apt-get kind
of user.

Anyway, in the general case, if I were to install something like pcmcia-cs
from source I would want to my package "on-hold".  Right?

Also, IIRC, installing pcmcia-cs from source would have installed to /usr
not /usr/local.  Is that OK, or should all source packages be set to
install to /usr/local (ignoring reasons related to how the disk might be
partitioned)?

If I install something from source that is NOT already installed, but I
want to protect myself from apt-get'ing by mistake, what should be done?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org