Re: Mozilla 1.0

Oki DZ wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible now to see Flash using Mozilla 1.0 remotely...?

Thanks in advance,
Oki

if "remotely" means "the x server and mozilla processes run on
different machines", and "locally" it works, yes (maybe slowly, depending on your network speed).

otherwise, define "remotely" :-)

pietro.

Pietro - if you knew what you're talking about you wouldn't ask DZ for the definition of 'remotely'. As far as I know it's not possible to run any of flash enabled websites on remote displays because of bugs in the
macromedia flash player for linux (speaking of version 5.0.47/48). Mozilla (all version the recent ones as well as those
bleeding edge and compiled from nightly snapshots) does not run correctly on Debian or on _any_ other linux distribution.
The other web-browsers like  commercial Opera 6 or Konqueror don't crash whatsoever but they leave a process consuming 100 CPU time
after you exit such pages or close the browser. The only remedy is then killall such processes but the user must be awary of such behaviour. Those things are widely discuessed on mozilla bug-mailing lists but so far there hasn't been much feedback from Macromedia. The source code to flash-player is not available so it cannot be altered easily. There's even a linux distribution which aims at X-terminals and those people are suffering from such a lack of interest from macromedia much more than those using local-display based X environments.

Personally, I use X-remote display on a diskless node (debian sid/woody based). My connection is fast-ethernet (100 M-bit) which is quite sufficient to play flash enabled animation or even films (up to 512x384/640x480x16bit)
Greetings
	KNiGHT