Re: Linux-based editor for PowerPoint presentations?

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 10:26:10AM -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:

> > I need to make a set of slides for playback at a conference on a
> > Windows machine -- ideally I'd use something that can generate a MS
> > PowerPoint compatible file.  Any suggestions?  I took a look at
> > KPresenter, but it doesn't look like it can save in the PowerPoint
> > format.
>
> Check out openoffice.  You may need to add this to your sources.list...
>
> # OpenOffice
> deb ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice unstable main contrib
> deb-src ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice unstable main contrib

Hmmmmmm.  I'm not sure what's wrong with this pointer but
this is what I got when I tried to install Open Office just
now.

----------start cut & paste----------------------
*From apt-get update*

Get:11 ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de unstable/main Packages
[1637B]
Get:12 ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de unstable/main Release
Ign ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de unstable/main Release
Get:13 ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de unstable/contrib Packages
[1927B]
Get:14 ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de unstable/contrib Release
Ign ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de unstable/contrib Release
Fetched 21.6kB in 16s (1338B/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

*From apt-get install*

apt-get install openoffice
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package openoffice has no available version, but exists in
the database. This typically means that the package was
mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been
obsoleted or is not available with the contents of
sources.list
E: Package openoffice has no installation candidate

So, what did I do wrong?  Could the fact that, other than
this source, I am running testing have anything to do with
the problem?

Is there another source point that I can draw on?

TIA,

	SJS

--
May the Lords of Luck and Chance be always
at your side, and may your hand always be