Re: Woody CD won't boot

Rox de Gabba declaimed:
> Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with woody not booting? boot fails
> with the following error message:
>
> ISOLINUX 1.66 2002-01-01 isolinux: Failed to get sector size, assuming 0800
> isolinux: Disk error 01, drive FF
> Boot failed: press a key to retry
>
> The machine is an old Cyrix 133 with 16M RAM, IDE cdrom and hard drive.
If it's reporting a disk error, chances are it's either the CD or the
drive.

Steps to take in any order:
1. Boot a different computer with the your CD.
2. Boot this computer with a different bootable CD.
This will tell you how to proceed.

You also have two workarounds at your disposal, assuming that the CD can
be read reliably but just won't boot your system.

1. You can make a pair of floppy disks to boot your system and install
from the CD. Look in

 debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/

You just need to make disks from rescue.bin and root.bin.

2. If you have a DOS boot floppy that supports your CD-ROM (a Windows 95
startup disk will work just fine), you can boot DOS, then navigate to
the CD-ROM and run install.bat from

  CD:\debian\dists\woody\main\disks-i386\current\

HTH, PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net