can I report a bug even if I know it is the upstream authors'?

Dear debian-user: Just curious, if we use the debian bug reporting
system, and the bug is actually all the "upstream author"'s fault,
Will the debian package maintainer:

1. Diligently represent our interests, "our man in congress", fighting
   for truth and justice with the author until the author fixes the
   bug and apologizes, whilst we sip pina coladas?  Or:

2. Tell us to send the problem to the upstream author?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780