Securing exim and uw-imapd

I currently have my mail server running uw-imapd and exim. Exim seems to
be locked up pretty tight as all the relaying tests I've done come back
negative. For the time being, authentication is done based on IP address
or hostname. (My laptop has a bad habit of losing its IP address, even
though it has a DHCP reserve on it.)

What I'd like to do is have that stay as the first line of defense, but
also allow users to send mail by authenticating in the securest way
possible when they're not on the LAN. I've tried setting up LDAP in the
past, and installation goes fine. Figuring out what to do from there
stumped me for a week so I just decided against LDAP. :)

I want to have some sort of authentication available regardless of where
the user is at, so I'm guessing that it would have to be name/password.
Any suggestions on the best way to go about this while, if possible,
allowing computers on the LAN to authenticate without a password.

Also, since I'm in the securing mood, I'm thinking about installing
uw-imapd-ssl. Can I do a straight switch from uw-imapd to uw-imapd-ssl
without needing any manual reconfiguration, and, more importantly,
without having to worry about losing users mail? (Currently using mbox
format) TIA.

-Alex