Re: printing in Debian

Jan Fischer wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 15:44, CaT wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 03:34:16PM +0200, Jan Fischer
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I also tried installing my printer (epson stylus
>>> photo 750) via cups. unfortunately i wasn't able to
>>> find out the right parameters for this printer. has
>>> anyone managed to get this printer working?
>>
>> Check this out:
>>
>> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=60128
>>

>> That might help you out.
>

> thanks a lot! but what do i say in 'device uri'? i tried
> several possibilities but none of them succeeded :( it is
> a local parport printer.
>
> jan

Well it will be parallel:/dev/lp0 but you shouldn't actually
*need* to enter that if it is a local parport printer. On
the second page of the installation process it asks you for
the device - you should select 'Parallel Port #1' in your
case and you'll never be prompted about a device uri. That
only applies to adding remote printers, whether through ipp,
http, lpd or samba. At the end of the installation though it
will tell you what the device uri is if you follow the link
to your newly-installed printer.

To get more device drivers for more printers, install the
packages cupsomatic-ppd and cupsys-driver-gimpprint, then
restart your cups server - '/etc/init.d/cupsys restart'

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV