Re: CUPS printing, drivers and ppd's

If you're using Lexmark's binary, follow these steps:

1) install Lexmark's binary (www.lexmark.com)
2) install cups*, foomatic*, etc.
3) install the foomatic-lexmark-kit (found on linuxprinting.org)
4) make sure the device is rw by user or group specified in cupsd.conf
5) turn LogLevel to debug in cupsd.conf
6) find the "lexmarkinkjet" ppd for your printer (found in a rpm called
cups-drivers-lexmark, I found it on rpmfind)
7) copy that ppd file to /usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark
8) restart cups (the error_log should mention that it added an
additional driver)
9) add your printer using the web interface, make sure you select the
driver with "lexmarkinkjet"
10) edit /etc/cups/printers.conf so that the DeviceURI line reads
"DeviceURI test:/dev/null"
11) restart cups
12) make sure nothing is using your printing device (ie, lsof
/dev/usb/lp0)
13) cross your fingers and pray that it works!  check the cups error_log

Hopefully I didn't forget anything...  :)

Good luck!
-Paul